10.10.2011

Organic Living Day 2-3

10.7.11

What is the proper etiquette for when a person gives your a gift of food that you are unable to eat whether for reason of dietary necessity or preference? Today in a computer training class, one of the physicians went to the coffee shop and when she returned, she gave me a white paper bag which contained what was certainly going to be a delicious raspberry and white chocolate scone. Now, I did have several bites, the whole time mentally trying to convince myself that it was a home made, whole grain scone with freshly picked raspberries and home made white chocolate in the ingredient list. I simply couldn't bring myself to say, no thank you to this gift she purchased specifically for my enjoyment. Somewhere out there must be some Miss Manners or Emily Post article regarding this very issue, but I have yet to find it.

As for dinner last night, the wine and spirits were certainly not lacking for the evening. After dinner, while sitting at the bar I had a Black Orchid which was in a martini glass and poured over an ice ball with an orchid frozen inside making the drink not only delicious, but pretty to look at and quite the conversation piece. I managed to almost entirely avoid the pre dinner bread. I indulged in two bites of pretzel bread but then was distracted by my wedge salad and the scallops we ordered as an appetizer. It is kind of a beautiful thing, dining at a nice restaurant. I was easily able to convince myself that all the ingredients in the creme brulee we had for dessert was unprocessed and since it was warm and perfect when it was served, I knew it had been freshly made. I certainly didn't make it through the evening proccessed free, but I certainly faired much better than I would have otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. The proper etiquette is to slap it out of their hand and yell, "I said truffle oil!"

    Honestly, I'd ask yourself if you feel better for the lifestyle you're shooting for. It doesn't seem to be making you happier.

    I eat fairly healthy, and I don't stress out about it at all. I think the smartest thing is to make the best choices when you have choices and to eat whatever is moving slower than you when there aren't choices. (Eating whatever is slower than you is how the caveman managed to claw his way up the food chain and become our ancestor.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe you me, this will not be a permanent change. It is 30 days to re-evaluate my dietary habits and do a bit of a chemical detox. It is also a much needed challenge. I need a goal to work toward right now. It is a good distraction.

    ReplyDelete