10.11.2011

Yours Has a Better Flavor

I find it fascinating to view the products of other peoples creative genius. It's very Being John Malkovich, the way it gains you entry into their mind to take a look at the world the way they see it. I have mentioned previously that when we see or hear something that resonates within us, I believe it is because it points out, whether consciously or subconsciously, a connection between us and that person stemming from some shared experience or thought. Often times, when I see a photo, hear a song, or read a passage, the artist has been able to capture and express a thought I have not yet found an adequate means of expressing. 

I am quite fond of quotations. When I was in high school there was a trend among the girls to have a quote book or some other quote compilation page. These pages were full of quotes that were thought provoking, painful, inspirational, romantic, and some were just simply hilarious. We had quotes for many occasions and we referenced them frequently. There are, of course, quotations that are overused, cliched, and even cheesy. I admittedly had several on my list which, as I read them now, are so very overdone I can't help but shake my head at my past self, but they meant the world to me when I was in high school. My perspective has changed as I have grown up and so with the emotional response I have to them. When I was 16, though, immature, and trying desperately to understand myself, people, and life in general, these words of others were as comforting as my childhood blanket. 

I do not believe people say things intending them to be words passed down through the ages. We say things to express the thoughts and emotions in our heart. Occasionally, when someone puts her thoughts into words, it resonates with us so we write it down and we share it. We don't take the words of others to plagiarize or to pass them as our own. We take the words of another because when looking to express the thoughts and emotions in our hearts, sometimes, someone else already said it best.

Here is a collection of things that today, Tuesday, October 11, 2011, resonate with me. No explanations. No rationalization. It is all the work of others but I could never say it, write it, sing it, paint it better


Mercy Matt Nathanson
I want a real love
to let me in
I want to zero out
and be born again
no more false starts and no dead ends

'cause I'm in no shape

to do whats right
I see up that's down and black that's white
it makes me dizzy I come apart
all this love love love in the dark

mercy mercy both hands

I need less drowning and more land
mercy mercy, understand
less drowning, more land, less drowning

you're fire in the crowd

just to watch you move
tie your hands and demand a salute
all these gardens full of snakes and fruit

you're the click click click

of the camera flash
its in the definite kick up in the fame ball blast
but they don't call and they don't last
and you're gone
outshine

mercy mercy both hands

I need less drowning and more land
mercy mercy, understand
less drowning, more land, less drowning

come on kill the light

leave it all behind
I'm right by your, I'm right by your side

lean on the tick of time

put your hand in in mine
watch your ...

mercy mercy, both hands

I need less drowning and more land
mercy mercy, understand
less drowning, more land

mercy mercy, I'm in your hands

I look into your eyes and see that I can
mercy mercy, understand 
less drowning, more land
less drowning, more land
Anders Zorn The Waltz







What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it.  
Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger




The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter—'tis the difference between the lightning bug and the 
lightning.  
Mark Twain

Crater Lake, OR
Taken by: Zachary Altenau












  
After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh.
Sex and the City, Mr. Big























Savior Rise Against

It kills me not to know this but I've all but just forgotten
what the color of her eyes were and her scars or how she got them
as the telling signs of age rain down a single tear is dropping
through the valleys of an aging face that this world has forgotten

there is no reconciliation that will put me in my place

and there is no time like the present to drink these draining seconds
but seldom do these words ring true when I'm constantly failing you
like walls that we just can't break through until we disappear
so tell me now

if this ain't love then how do we get out?

because I don't know
that's when she said I don't hate you boy
I just want to save you while there's still something left to save
that's when I told her I love you girl
but I'm not the answer to the questions that you still have

but the day pressed on like crushing weights

for no man does it ever wait
like memories of dying days
that deafen us like hurricanes
bathed in flames we held the brand
uncurled the fingers in your hand
pressed into the flesh like sand
now do you understand?
so tell me now

if this ain't love then how do we get out?

because I don't know
that' s when she said I don't hate you boy
I just want to save you while there's still something left to save
that's when I told her I love you girl
but I'm not the answer to the questions that you still have

one thousand miles away

there's nothing left to say

but so much left that I don't know
we never had a choice
this world is too much noise
it takes me under
it takes me under once again

 
Robert Doisneau

Lastly, because no one says it like a child:




No comments:

Post a Comment