Last night, by the grace of efficient teaching on the part of one of my coworkers, I recovered an hour of time between a meeting and a short shift on the floor. I used those precious minutes to meet one of my girlfriends at our favorite Wednesday night spot. We are frequenters of a local pub where, on Wednesday nights, patrons are served their burger of choice for $3.50. It is a weekly indulgence which is generally accompanied by beer...lots of beer. While driving the 3/4 mile to the pub from the hospital where I was previously, I realized, loaded burgers, fried kettle chips, and fried pickles are not part of my unprocessed diet. Not even 24 hours in and I am forced to choose between sticking with my new diet modification and my favorite burger. It was a definite angle/devil battle. Luckily, I still had a will power reserve which allowed me to resist temptation. I sat and enjoyed an unsweet iced tea and Samiha's company while watching her eat her cracked peppercorn burger. Though the event left a large enough emotional scar that I must publicly air my pain.
This morning I woke up 3 minutes after I was due to arrive at the hospital. I managed to get to work just under 30 minutes later, but I had no time to prepare a breakfast or lunch. Kudos to me for preparing fresh yogurt and fruit bowl 2 nights ago because I was able to grab breakfast and run. When I arrived I got a hot tea from the coffee shop in the medical library and sweetened it with raw sugar. For lunch I got an unwrapped hummus wrap with fresh spinach, cucumber, tomato, and dried cranberries (i suppose the cranberries are outside of the rules but I'll pretend there was no added sugar...). Hummus makes a great dressing substitute so I was able to avoid packaged ranch or Italian. Tonight I have dinner plans at a nice and very delicious restaurant so this will be another test of will. At least the most important element dining at a nice restaurant is in the clear...wine. When in doubt...drink the wine.
No comments:
Post a Comment