10.28.2011

Organic Living Day 23

Today is day 23 of my month long trial of non-processed living and while I have made a few concessions along the way -- Rally's Burger, Fries, 2 Apple pies, and Large Diet Coke (Tuesday was a really bad day) -- I believe I have done exceptionally well and what I have learned to date is that I was eating an offensive amount of food prior to the start of this adventure. Just to give myself a reference point to the quantity of food I consume, I have been keeping a food diary. My daily caloric consumption is a healthy level for maintaining my current weight but I eat much less than previously and the foods I eat are much more nutrient rich. While it would be helpful to know how much my average caloric intake was prior to this diet modification but, quite frankly, I would be afraid to know just how much I was overeating. It is a sure sign of habitual over indulgence when you start eating a weight maintenance amount of food (about 1900 cal/day) and begin losing weight (about 1 lb per week so far).


Historically (and by historically I mean in the context of Emily History), when I make any sort of concession in my diet, the result is a slippery slope. Any time in the past when I have given up pop for a significant amount of time, if I allow myself to have even one diet coke with the intent to initiate a 1 pop per week rule, I inevitably revert to daily consumption and caffeine dependence. This go around, I have successfully reintroduced diet coke on two isolated occasions, and remained pop free the rest of the time. I give myself a firm pat on the back for this improved will power. Perhaps this is aided by the fact that I don't otherwise feel restricted by this eating plan. I am not starving, I have plenty of calories, and quite a wide variety of food. My food options seem to expand daily as I discover new non-processed foods and recipes. In light of this new found culinary hobby, perhaps it is good that the house I was supposed to close on a week ago fell through. I don't think a gally kitched would facilitate this domestic venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment